Skip to content
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 small garlic clove, grated finely
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (plus more for seasoning)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large bunches of kale (approximately 1 1/2 pounds total), discard center stem leaving thinly sliced leaves.
- 12 ounces brussels sprouts, trimmed, finely grated or shredded with a knife
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup almonds with skins, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup finely grated Pecorino
- Ahead of time: Prepare kale mixture, dressing, and toasted almonds eight hours prior. Chill dressing and kale mixture separately. Cover almonds and let stand in room temperature.
- Mix lemon juice, Dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper in a small bowl.
- Stir items until blended and set mixture aside.
- Add thinly sliced kale and brussel sprouts into a large bowl.
- Measure ½ cup oil into a cup. Stir almonds with 1 tbsp of oil from the cup in a small skillet over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes, until the almonds are golden brown
- Transfer nuts to paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle almonds lightly with salt.
- With the oil remaining in the cup, mix it into the original lemon-juice mixture. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
- Add dressing and cheese to kale mixture and toss until coated. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with almonds.