Potatoes At The Hunts Point Produce Market
Solanum tuberosum, more commonly known as potatoes, are one of the most popular crops from around the world. Potatoes are often boiled, mashed, fried, steamed, and baked. Potatoes can definitely be considered a versatile vegetable. At E Armata Inc., located in Hunts Point Produce Market, we carry a wide variety of potatoes including, Eastern, Purple, Yukon gold, Idaho, Red, Rutabaga, Russet, White, and Yams. We are proud to receive our potatoes from the freshest growing regions throughout the year to ensure the highest quality produce. However, not all these potatoes are similar. Different types of potatoes have different qualities, as grouped below.
Potatoes can be grouped in different categories such as starchy, waxy, and all-purpose.
- Starchy: Contains Russets, Idaho’s, and many Yam varieties, that are high in starch. They are ideal for baking, frying, boiling, and mashing because of their low-moisture, fluffy, and absorbent qualities. Starchy potatoes tend to not hold their shape after cooking.
- Waxy: Unlike starchy potatoes, waxy potatoes do tend to hold their shape after cooking. Waxy potatoes are low in starch and high in sugar. They are good for boiling, roasting, and are commonly used in potato salad.
- All-Purpose: These kinds of potatoes, such as Yukon golds, fall in the middle. They tend to have qualities of both starchy and waxy potatoes, making them less starchy but mildly fluffy and absorbent.
Not all potatoes in the same category are identical. Here is a list and description of some of the most popular potatoes:
- Russet (Starchy): They are large, and have a mealy flesh with rough skin. Russets are best for mashing, frying, and baking. Russets are the best contender for homemade mashed potatoes, as they stay light and fluffy.
- Yams (Starchy): These potatoes are sweet, and work best in baking, roasting, steaming, boiling, mashed, and pureed. Yams and sweet potatoes can even be used for desserts like muffins, pies, and bread.
- Red (Waxy): These potatoes are small, have a waxy flesh, and are thin-skinned. They work best boiled, steamed, and even crispy roasted.
- White (All-Purpose): White potatoes are a similar size to red, and have a yellow to white-colored flesh. These potatoes are commonly boiled, sautéed, and steamed. A popular white potato, Yukon Golds, known for their rich, creamy, buttery qualities are frequently baked, boiled, fried, or roasted.
- Purple (All-Purpose): As the name suggests, purple potatoes have purple skin and a bright purple flesh. These potatoes can be boiled, roasted, steamed, and baking. Purple potatoes are high in antioxidants which come from the purple skin and flesh.
Potatoes can be a great addition to almost any meal due to how many different varieties there are and the multiple ways they can be prepared. We carry a wide variety of potatoes at E Armata Inc., located in Hunts Point Produce Market.