If you’ve had to toss out your produce because it went bad before you had the chance to eat it, it may be time to reevaluate how you store said produce. Implementing a few simple changes can help give your produce a longer shelf life, so you don’t waste a dime. As one of the leading wholesale produce distributors near me, E. Armata Inc. has plenty of tips for storing fresh produce. Continue reading to learn more!
Best Ideas For Storing Fresh Produce
Many of us fill our shopping carts up with fresh fruits and vegetables with every intention of using them for a healthy meal, but we often don’t get to eat them before they’ve gone bad. To help you cut down on food waste, our wholesale produce distributors near me would like to share some tips for the best ways to store produce:
- Keep your produce intact until you’re ready to eat them.
- Remove your produce from plastic grocery bags and store them loose or in produce storage bags in the crisper drawers or on the counter in a fruit bowl.
- Put a damp paper towel in produce bags for added humidity. This works great for leafy greens.
- Wooden storage crates are a versatile piece of home decor that is functional and looks good. Store unrefrigerated vegetables in a crate to keep them fresh and in sight.
- Corn – For fresh corn, it’s best to eat it as soon as possible since the longer you wait, the less enjoyable it becomes. To store corn, you can refrigerate it unshucked.
- Herbs – Leafy herbs like cilantro, mint, basil, and parsley should be treated like flowers. To store them, trim their roots and put them in jars of cool water. Set the herbs aside at room temperature and use them as soon as possible.
- Lettuce – Heads of lettuce and loose assortments should be washed and dried thoroughly before storing. You can store them in a vented paper bag with a piece of paper towel.
- Peaches – Ripe peaches stay fresh when you refrigerate them in an uncovered container. If they need to be ripened, you can leave them in a closed paper bag at room temperature, then refrigerate them when ripened.
- Apples – Apples are a fall staple. They are best stored in the crisper drawer in the refrigerator with a damp paper towel over them.
- Asparagus – It’s easy to keep asparagus spears crisp and fresh. Trim the ends and stand the asparagus upright in a glass or jar half-filled with water. You can loosely fit a plastic bag over the tops of the spears and refrigerate them.
- Blackberries – These berries are delicate and tend to grow mold quickly. Pick out any damaged berries and wash the good ones gently. Spread them out in a single layer lined with paper towels and refrigerate.
- Cherries – Don’t wash cherries when you bring them home. Store them in the fridge in an uncovered bowl, and wash before eating.
- Mushrooms – Mushrooms store best in vented paper bags in the crisper drawer.
- Spinach – Wrap unpackaged spinach in a damp paper towel and leave them in the crisper drawer.
- Strawberries – Store these berries in a vented bag in the refrigerator. Rinse thoroughly before eating.
- Turnips – Cut the greens off, and store the greens and turnips in separated bags in the refrigerator.
- Pineapple – Trim the top of the fruit off and turn it upside down in a bowl. Let the pineapple sit on the counter for a few days. Then, right side up, it will keep for a few days at room temperature.
- Tomatoes – Do not refrigerate tomatoes since they will lose flavor rapidly. Store them at room temperature.
- Pears – Like peaches, you can store them at room temperature until they ripen, then refrigerate in an uncovered container.
- Raspberries – Wash gently and discard any damaged ones. Spread them on a plate lined with a paper towel and refrigerate.
Contact Our Wholesale Produce Distributors Near Me
E. Armata Inc. is one of the leading wholesale produce distributors near me, so you can be sure that you are receiving top quality products when you work with us. To learn more about storing fresh produce, be sure to contact us today!
If you’ve never thought about growing your own berries because you think it requires too much effort or you don’t have enough space, we have some excellent news for you! Growing delicious berries in containers is one of the easiest ways to grow your own fruit garden, especially if you have limited space! At E. Armata Inc., our wholesale produce distributors near me would like to share some of the best berries you can grow in containers at home! Continue reading to learn more.
Best Berries To Grow In Containers
- Strawberries – Strawberries are well suited to grow in containers! You don’t need any particular container to grow delicious strawberries either. These perennial plants should be in a well-draining container at least 6 to 8 inches deep. Our wholesale produce distributors near me recommend regular watering and sunshine to grow plump and sweet strawberries.
- Blackberries – All you need to grow delicious blackberries at home is a 5-gallon pot, soil, and stakes for support. These berries are known to produce long canes that need support, especially during flowering.
- Blackcurrant – These sweet berries develop the best flavor in containers. Make sure that your blackcurrants have rich potting soil and ample drainage.
- Blueberries – Blueberries should be on your list of options to grow in a container. While they can take up a lot of space, blueberries tend to last longer than most garden berries. Place the container in a sunny spot and water regularly.
- Gooseberries – For the best tasting homegrown gooseberries, place them in an area where they’ll get plenty of morning sun and protection from harsh afternoon rays. Sprinkle some potash fertilizer around their base to promote fruiting and flowering throughout the season.
- Raspberries – Raspberries are one of the best berries to grow in containers. They tend to thrive in the warm summer sun, so place them in an area with lots of sunlight.
- Acai Berries – This rare berry is packed with significant health benefits. Choose a dwarf pre-germinated acai palm variety, and grow it in a large pot in a warm and sunny location. Make sure to keep your acai berries away from the cold during the winter.
- Mulberries – Many people think of large mulberry trees, but did you know that these plants grow well in containers too? Mulberries are rarely in stores due to their short shelf life, so grow your own at home!
- Cranberries – You might associate cranberries with large bogs, but they can also be grown in a container! It’s recommended to plant them in wide pots since this berry tends to spread.
- Boysenberries – Boysenberries can do well in containers but need plenty of room to grow. Choose a well-draining, wide container with rich soil, and keep them in a sunny spot.
Contact Our Wholesale Produce Distributors Near Me
At E. Armata Inc., our wholesale produce distributors near me are passionate about cultivating the freshest fruit possible for our customers. To learn more about growing berries in containers or for general inquiries, be sure to contact us today!
Earmata Inc. is a family-owned and operated wholesale produce distributor that is committed to providing the freshest Wholesale Produce Distributors near me and helping our customers grow. Finding the best organic Wholesale Produce Distributors near me can be a challenge with so many options to choose from. E. Armata Inc. has proven to be exceptional in this arena. Continue reading to learn more about wholesale produce delivery.
Produce Delivery NYC
Fresh produce is fundamental to maintaining good health. You can find the freshest and most vibrant produce at our location in the Hunts Point Market. At E. Armata Inc., we take great pride in our logistical strategies, including swift turnaround times in delivery from harvest to our customer.
To accomplish our goal of providing customers with the highest quality produce available at all times, we work directly with growers. We have cultivated meaningful relationships with growers and shippers for decades, resulting in us having access to fresh fruits and vegetables year-round. Here are some more reasons why we are one of the leaders in Wholesale Produce Distributors near me:
- Our team delivers fresh produce daily to fulfill all of your replenishment needs in a timely manner.
- Our fleet of modern trucks are temperature controlled to ensure that we meet quality standards all year round.
- Our distribution team monitors and tracks the speed of our shipping vehicles to ensure the safety of the communities we serve and the safety of our drivers.
- We use the latest technology to maximize our shippers’ delivery schedules to accommodate demand.
Earmata Inc. is unique among other wholesale produce companies because of our commitment to resourcefully meeting our customer’s needs. We want our customers to have the best, and we’re happy to deliver it to them.
If you are looking for high-quality Wholesale Produce Distributors near me, E. Armata Inc. is here to serve! Our team has taken immense pride in our operation for four generations. Our dedication to quality and integrity has allowed us to form crucial relationships with our customers, growers, and shippers so you can be sure that you are getting the best produce all year round. To learn more about our wholesale operation or other general inquiries, contact us today!