Dogs are a beloved part of the family, so you probably want to feed them just as well! However, while some fruits and vegetables are healthy and could be part of a balanced pet diet, others are toxic and dangerous for dogs to consume. Our wholesale produce on Staten Island team at E. Armata Inc. would like to share some of the fruits that cannot be given to dogs and some that are safe for everyone at home! Continue reading to learn more!
What Fruits Cannot Be Given To Dogs?
Most people spoil their dogs by giving them their favorite snacks instead of a dog treat. While many different human foods are perfectly safe for dogs, some are unhealthy and even dangerous, so it’s crucial to know what fruits cannot be given to dogs. Here are some fruits that you should not give to dogs:
- Avocados – While avocados are a favorite healthy snack for dog owners, they should never be given to dogs. Avocados contain a toxin called persin that causes sickness in dogs.
- Grapes – Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs of all breeds and sizes, as they can lead to sudden acute kidney failure.
- Tomatoes – While ripe tomatoes are considered safe, the green parts of the plant contain a toxic substance known as solanine. A dog would have to eat large amounts of the tomato plant to get sick, but dogs should avoid them altogether to be safe.
- Cherries – The pits of cherry contain cyanide. If a dog chews the seed, the cyanide can be released and harm them.
While it’s best to avoid certain fruits to keep your dog safe, there are plenty of other fruits available for wholesale produce on Staten Island that are healthy for dog owners and their beloved furry friends! Here are some fruits that are good for dogs:
- Watermelon without rind or seeds.
Dogs are often curious creatures, and sometimes eat things that are bad for them when you’re not looking. Our team at E. Armata Inc. wants to ensure that you keep your pet friends safe and healthy when eating fruits! To learn more about dog-safe fruits, be sure to contact our wholesale produce on Staten Island today!