There’s nothing better than a juicy, sweet plum on a warm day, but have you ever wondered which plums are considered the sweetest? At E. Armata Inc., we offer Vermont produce delivery to ensure our customers receive the highest quality fruits and vegetables all year round, including different plum varieties! Continue reading to discover more about the different plum varieties.
Which Plums Are Considered The Sweetest?
Plums are a variety of stone fruit that grows on trees and can be red, green, purple, or yellow. All plums have smooth, edible skin and sweet flesh surrounding a pit. This stone fruit grows worldwide and can be enjoyed raw as a sweet snack or used in baked goods or savory dishes. It is a commonly held belief that the darker the plum, the sweeter it will be.
From the prevalent varieties you see at your local grocery store to the hard-to-find varieties available for Vermont produce delivery, plums come in a range of flavors and colors. Here are some of the different types of plums:
- Black Ruby – Black ruby plum ripens earlier than other plums and is a dark and sweet variety.
- Elephant Heart – This Japanese variety is commonly found in grocery stores and has red flesh and reddish-purple skin. When ripe, the flesh is sweet, soft, and juicy.
- Black Beauty – Fresh black beauty plums often taste sweet but can be flavorless if picked too early.
- Greengage – Greengage plums are a European variety that features green flesh and skin. Greengage plums are some of the sweetest plums available and are one of the only varieties that have green skin at the point of ripening.
- Mirabelle – Mirabelle plums are native to France. Also known as cherry plums, these yellow plums are sweet and often turned into jams and jellies.
When it comes to sweetness, Mirabelle plums are tough to beat! Mirabelle plums are available for Vermont produce delivery and can be used for making jams, pies, and jellies.
Plums are delicious and tart fruits that many love to order for Vermont produce delivery. To learn more about the different types of plums available for ordering, be sure to contact E. Armata Inc. today!