Recipe By: EatingWell Test Kitchen
30 Minutes Prep and Cook Time
Yield: 6 servings
This savory cauliflower puree makes a perfect low-carb stand-in for mashed potatoes. It gets its unique flavor from garlic, buttermilk and a touch of butter but has a third of the calories as traditional mashed potatoes. Vary it by adding shredded cheese or chopped fresh herbs.
- 8 cups bite-size cauliflower florets (about 1 head)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- ⅓ cup nonfat buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Snipped fresh chives for garnish
- Place cauliflower florets and garlic in a steamer basket over boiling water, cover and steam until very tender, 12 to 15 minutes. If you prefer to microwave, place florets and garlic in a microwave-safe bowl with ¼ cup water, cover, and microwave on high for three to five minutes.)
- Once tender, place the cooked cauliflower and garlic into a food processor. Add buttermilk, two teaspoons of oil, butter, salt, and pepper; then pulse several times, then process until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a serving bowl. Drizzle with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and garnish with chives, if desired. Serve hot.