Spicy Flank Steak Tacos with Watermelon Salsa
A delicious dish of complex tastes that combines the best of spices and sweetness into one place.
- Total time: 40 minutes
- 5/8 teaspoon divided kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 8 green onions, roots trimmed
- 1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh watermelon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and chopped
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
Step 1: Preheat grill to medium heat
Step 2: Combine red pepper, black pepper, white pepper, and ½ teaspoon of salt into a small bowl. Score steak into a diamond pattern on both sides, approx ¼ inch deep. Lightly coat steak with cooking spray. Sprinkle steak evenly with the pepper mixture.
Step 3: Place steak on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 4 minutes on each side (or until desired level of doneness). Let stand for 5 minutes; cut steak across the grain into thin slices.
Step 4: Place green onions on grill rack coated in cooking spray. Grill for 3 minutes (or until slightly charred).
Step 5: Combine watermelon, olive oil, chile, mint juice, and ⅛ teaspoon of salt in a medium bowl
Step 6: Place tortillas on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 1 minute on each side (or until lightly charred). Arrange onions down the center of the tortilla. Divide feta cheese, salsa, and steak evenly.