If you’re a fan of Italian cuisine, you’re probably familiar with basil. Basil is an herb that belongs to the mint family that packs a lot of flavor and nutrients in every meal. Our team at E. Armata Inc. are wholesale produce distributors in NJ committed to providing our customers with fresh, nutritious produce and herbs all year round. Please continue reading to learn more about some of the fantastic health benefits of basil.
10 Benefits of Basil
Basil is a fragrant and well-loved herb that is integral to many cuisines. Many people plant basil in their kitchen gardens so they can grab a fresh handful when needed. Fresh basil contains numerous vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that disappear during the process of drying, so be sure to grab fresh basil from our wholesale produce distributors in NJ. Here are a few of the amazing benefits of basil:
- Basil helps digestion – Sweet basil contains a chemical compound known as eugenol. Eugenol has anti-inflammatory properties that keep your digestive tract healthy.
- Great for skin – Fresh basil contains powerful essential oils that cleanse your skin. Basil is especially beneficial to those with oily skin. If you struggle with acne, this herb’s antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties can help prevent the problem.
- Reduced oxidative stress – Basil is jam-packed with antioxidants to combat free radicals found in the body. Basil also has immune system boosting flavonoids that protect the cellular structure from damage.
- Diabetes management – Adding basil to your diet can help with diabetes. Basil can slow the process of sugar release in your blood to help you manage your condition.
- Fighting inflammation – Basil’s anti-inflammatory properties and essential oils can help fight inflammation from a range of conditions, including IBS, rheumatoid arthritis, and heart conditions. Consuming fresh basil can also help with headaches or a sore throat.
- Fighting infection – Various traditional medicine practitioners have used fresh basil as an antimicrobial agent to prevent or treat certain types of infection.
- Improving mental health – Basil contains an anti-stress substance called adaptogen. It can help deal with symptoms of depression and anxiety while stimulating the neurotransmitters that control energy and feel-good hormones.
- Preventing heart ailments – Basil contains eugenol that aids in blocking calcium channels. This, in turn, can lower blood pressure. The essential oils found in basil can lower cholesterol, and magnesium in basil helps improve circulation.
- Supports liver function – Basil’s detox properties can help your liver health by preventing fat build-up in the liver.
- Adding flavor – Aside from being beneficial to your health, basil makes a unique, colorful, and fresh addition to many dishes. Try adding fresh basil to a salad, wrap, or soup and enjoy!
At E. Armata Inc., our wholesale produce distributors in NJ take pride in making the highest quality products available to our customers. If you’re interested in ordering some fresh basil, be sure to contact our team today!