These eggplant wraps are nutritious and delicious. It can also be made on a barbecue.
Total Prep and Time: 45 minutes. Serves 8 people.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs, as desired
- 2 large eggplants, cut lengthwise into eighths, for 16 total slices
- 1 pound spinach
- 16 tomato halves packed in olive oil
- 3 tablespoons raw pine nuts, toasted in a dry skillet
- 5 ounces aged Cheddar, cut into 16 slices
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a mixing bowl, combine oil and herbs. Delicately baste each eggplant piece on both sides with herbed oil.
- Place a skillet over med-high heat. When pan begins to get hot, arrange slices of eggplant in a single layer. Fry until golden brown and softened, recommended 3 minutes per side. Move cooked eggplant to a plate, and repeat with each slice.
- Rinse spinach in cool water, then move the leaves in a dry saucepan. Cover pan and cook over medium heat until wilted, estimated 3 minutes. Then drain.
- Begin wraps by taking a sliver of eggplant and placing a tablespoon of spinach on one side. Top spinach with a tomato half, a few pine nuts and a slice of Cheddar. Fold the eggplant in half so that filling is covered. Place on a large nonstick baking sheet. Repeat to make all wraps, placed side by side. Season to taste. Bake until cheese has melted, about 15 minutes. Serve hot.