Fresh Summer Fruits and Vegetables
Summer is the best time for many of your favorite fruits and vegetables. However, keeping them fresh in the heat during the summer months can be difficult. The best way to ensure you will enjoy fresh, delicious fruits and vegetables all summer long is to get your produce from a trusted source. E. Armata Inc. is a family run fruit and produce wholesaler in the Hunts Point Market committed to providing the best quality products available to all of our customers.
From peaches to blueberries to watermelon, summer is the optimal time for many of your favorite fruits. Here are some tips to help you keep your fruit fresh as long as possible.
- Melons – If you have a melon that is ready to eat but don’t want to cut into it quite yet, store it in the fridge. Melons can keep about 10 days in cold temperatures, not to mention biting into a cold melon adds a satisfying crunch.
- Peaches and Nectarines – Peaches and nectarines are fun additions to tasty desserts and a great on-the-go snack. They should be bought firm and kept at room temperature.
- Berries – Berries are as delicious as they are delicate. To delay mold and mushiness berries often succumb to, do not wash them until the moment you want to eat them. A quick soak in hot water can also help destroy bacteria and mold spores.
- Apples – In the summer, apples should be stored in the fridge but in the fall, they should remain out on the counter.
Follow these tips to protect your vegetables from the destructive heat and humidity during the summer months and contact E. Armata at Hunts Point Market to get the highest quality products available for your store or restaurant.
- Avocados – In warm weather, avocados will ripen even faster than usual. However, do not store them in the fridge unless they are cut. Squirt some lime or lemon juice and cover with plastic wrap to prolong its freshness.
- Corn – Store your corn in the fridge in a plastic bag with the husk on, but cut off the shank. The corn will remain fresh for about two days
- Broccoli & Lettuce – Keep your greens as crisp as possible by wrapping them in tin foil before storing them in the fridge.
- Peppers – Keep your peppers unwashed, in a plastic bag in the fridge for optimal crispness.
Fresh produce is essential to a healthy diet and using these tips will ensure you get the most out of the delicious fruits and vegetables summer has to offer. Another way is to be certain you are getting the freshest produce available. E. Armata, Inc. is a 4th generation wholesaler in the Hunts Point Market, New York. Working directly with grower/ shippers guarantees the best quality products on the market. Call us today at (718-991-5600) to learn more.