If you’ve never thought about growing your own berries because you think it requires too much effort or you don’t have enough space, we have some excellent news for you! Growing delicious berries in containers is one of the easiest ways to grow your own fruit garden, especially if you have limited space! At E. Armata Inc., our berry distributors in the Bronx would like to share some of the best berries you can grow in containers at home! Continue reading to learn more.
Best Berries To Grow In Containers
- Strawberries – Strawberries are well suited to grow in containers! You don’t need any particular container to grow delicious strawberries either. These perennial plants should be in a well-draining container at least 6 to 8 inches deep. Our berry distributors in the Bronx recommend regular watering and sunshine to grow plump and sweet strawberries.
- Blackberries – All you need to grow delicious blackberries at home is a 5-gallon pot, soil, and stakes for support. These berries are known to produce long canes that need support, especially during flowering.
- Blackcurrant – These sweet berries develop the best flavor in containers. Make sure that your blackcurrants have rich potting soil and ample drainage.
- Blueberries – Blueberries should be on your list of options to grow in a container. While they can take up a lot of space, blueberries tend to last longer than most garden berries. Place the container in a sunny spot and water regularly.
- Gooseberries – For the best tasting homegrown gooseberries, place them in an area where they’ll get plenty of morning sun and protection from harsh afternoon rays. Sprinkle some potash fertilizer around their base to promote fruiting and flowering throughout the season.
- Raspberries – Raspberries are one of the best berries to grow in containers. They tend to thrive in the warm summer sun, so place them in an area with lots of sunlight.
- Acai Berries – This rare berry is packed with significant health benefits. Choose a dwarf pre-germinated acai palm variety, and grow it in a large pot in a warm and sunny location. Make sure to keep your acai berries away from the cold during the winter.
- Mulberries – Many people think of large mulberry trees, but did you know that these plants grow well in containers too? Mulberries are rarely in stores due to their short shelf life, so grow your own at home!
- Cranberries – You might associate cranberries with large bogs, but they can also be grown in a container! It’s recommended to plant them in wide pots since this berry tends to spread.
- Boysenberries – Boysenberries can do well in containers but need plenty of room to grow. Choose a well-draining, wide container with rich soil, and keep them in a sunny spot.
Contact Our Berry Distributors in the Bronx
At E. Armata Inc., our berry distributors in the Bronx are passionate about cultivating the freshest fruit possible for our customers. To learn more about growing berries in containers or for general inquiries, be sure to contact us today!